The FACULTY OF SCIENCE welcomes you! We hope that you will soon feel at home here and can fully experience the wonderful learning and growing opportunities it provides.
You should by now have received a letter from UCT giving the outcome of your application. If you have been given an offer of a place in Science, please check the information which came with that which provides details about the first few steps in enrolling as a student at UCT.
All teaching in the Science Faculty will be done in person, so you will be required to come to campus for all lectures, tutorials, and laboratory sessions.
To be able to learn effectively at UCT you will need:
• A laptop or similar device to enable you to connect to the internet and complete assignments.
- If you do not have a laptop, you will be made aware of options for acquiring one during orientation.
• A place to stay where you know you have a quiet place to work.
- A place in a UCT residence: if you have applied for residence, you will have received information on this shortly after your offer of a study place in the Science Faculty. If you have not received an outcome on your residence application, please contact 021 650 2977 or email@example.com
Once you have confirmed your offer of a place in Science, follow the steps below:
1. Update your password on Peoplesoft (the UCT data management system)
2. Download some important apps on to your smartphone:
a. UCT Mobile app
b. First-Year Campus Reception (FYCR) Booking – access via the UCT Mobile app>Student Card tile.
3. Attend the First-year Campus Reception in the UCT Sports Centre on Upper Campus: PDF map or Google Maps directions.
4. The First-year Campus Reception will be available from Saturday 28 January to Monday 30 January, from 09:00. Please book a slot on the FYCR Booking app in advance to avoid queues and delays.
5. Online registration will be available from Friday 3 February after Orientation and advising has been completed.
The Science Orientation and Registration Programme
When you have completed the steps above, you will be ready for the Science Faculty Orientation and Registration Programme.
The Orientation part of the programme will introduce students to the Faculty and University and give you an idea of what to expect during the first year and beyond. You will be introduced to the exciting things UCT has to offer, and how the support systems at UCT work. You will also get to know some of the academic staff who act as Student Advisors, who will guide you through thinking about the best approach to academic studies.
The Registration part of the programme will go over the choices that students need to make and guide you in selecting the courses you want to do this year. Orientation Leaders and Academic Student Advisors will be on hand to provide information and to assist with the process.
We look forward to welcoming you as a student in our faculty!