We are currently building this section with questions that are often asked of the staff and students in the department. If there are any other questions you have for us, please do not hesitate to contact the department directly.

What can I do with a postgraduate qualification awarded by the EGS Department?

Our students enter a wide variety of careers, including: further research, Environmental consultancy, disaster management, local government, NGO work, teaching, running their own consultancies and a range of other professions.

How do I qualify for the degree?

  1. Honours: To enter into any Honours programme you will be expected to have a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental and Geographical Science or equivalent with an aggregate mark of at least 65%.
  2. Masters by Dissertation and Coursework: For all programmes, except the MPhil in Environmental Management, you will be expected to have an Honours degree in Environmental and Geographical Science or equivalent with good results. For entry in the MPhil in Environmental Management you will be expected to have an Honours degree in any subject other than Environmental and Geographical Science.
  3. Masters by Dissertation: An Honours degree with excellent marks.
  4. PhD: A Master’s degree with excellent marks

What do I need to do in order to apply: 

Firstly you need to apply online to the University by going to www.uct.ac.za

Secondly, you submit all your documents relevant to the programme you are applying for via email to pgapplications.egs@uct.ac.za.

Please note that both applications need to be done before the specific deadline.

How much will it cost?

For current fees information please visit the Fees Offices website: http://www.uct.ac.za/apply/fees/

Non-SADC resident students will normally be expected to pay an additional R19 500 per year. There are a number of bursaries available. Applicants are advised to go to the Postgraduate Funding Offices website: http://www.uct.ac.za/apply/funding/postgraduate/applications/ 



Should I secure a supervisor before submitting an application?

No you don't need to secure a supervisor before submitting an application as a supervisor will be allocated to you should your application be successful.

You can however have a look at the staff profiles on the EGS website and put down the name/s of your preferred supervisor. 

Please note by putting down a preferred supervisor does not mean you will be allocated to that supervisor should you application be successful.

Do i submit a 200 word research statement as per the online application requirement or a 1000 word statement as per the department application requirement?

You need to submit the 200 word statement to the online application and the 1000 word statement to the department as we require a bit more in order to make an informed decision on your application.

Does the department offer any distance learning, part time or online courses?

No, unfortunately the department does not offer any of these courses.