Post Grad short videos
Here are some short videos of postgraduate students in the department speaking about their research groups and their postgraduate journeys.
Some research groups in the department
Here is some helpful information about a few of the research groups in the department as well as a summary of the honours courses. Be sure to follow the links for detailed and up to date information.
- Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science www.dmtcs.uct.ac.za
- Topology and Algebra https://sites.google.com/site/topolalgeb/home
- CERECAM: Centre for Research in Computational and Applied Mechanics http://www.cerecam.uct.ac.za/
- Cosmology and Relativity Group
- QGaSlab: The Laboratory for Quantum Gravity and Strings https://sites.google.com/site/qgaslab/home
- MARAM: Marine Resource Assesment and Management Group http://www.maram.uct.ac.za/
- Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos Group http://math_research.uct.ac.za/~hskokos/
There are many more research areas in the department. The list of staff on the UCT maths website gives the research interests of each member of staff. See http://www.math.uct.ac.za/staff-permanent-academic, http://www.math.uct.ac.za/staff-temporary-academic and http://www. math.uct.ac.za/staff-honorary.
One year of study with coursework and a project with a supervisor. It is either Honours in Mathematics (MAM4000W) or Honours in Applied Mathematics (MAM4001W). A certain number of modules have to be taken. Maths modules can be taken in the Applied Maths course and vice-versa. Some modules can also be taken in different departments. A reading module can also be taken. See the website for detailed information.
Some modules offered (subject to change) :
How to apply and admissions requirements:
- • Admissions Requirements:
- - For Mathematics, at least 65% for MAM3000W; an average of all Maths courses in undergrad should be at least 65%
- - For Applied Mathematics, 65% for MAM3040W; an average of all Maths courses in undergrad should be at least 65%
- • Applying :
- - You must send an email to Tanya Hannival (email@example.com) stating which course you’re applying for and you must also apply to UCT as a postgrad student
- - Make sure to check the website for the details on applying and also on financial aid